On January 18th 2019, there was a Union Des Grand Cru Bordeaux (UGB) tasting in Miami Florida featuring the iconic Bordeaux wines of 2016. The wines were from the major regions of #Bordeaux starting with, Margaux, Graves, Pessac Léognan, Saint-Emillion Grand Cru, Pomerol, Listrac-Medoc, Moulis-en-Medoc, Haut-Medoc, Medoc, Saint-Julien, Pauillac, Saint-Estéphe, and Sauternes/ Barsac.
The majority of the Red wines showed deep ruby color, great balance, acidity and depth on the finish. After a lengthy discussion with several wine makers and Château owners they came to the conclusion that 2016 was an excellent growing season in Bordeaux and these wines will be exceptional over the next 10 to 20 years.
The 10 best wines that I tasted at this year’s UGB 2019 tasting in Miami, In no particular order.
1) Chateau Pichon Longeville Contesse De Lalande. Delicious from beginning to the end. (Pauillac)
2) Château Clinet, big dark fruit, powerful wine. (Pomerol)
3) Château La Dominique, elegant, lots of chocolate on the palate. (Saint Emilion)
4) Château Smith Haut Lafitte, WOW, gorgeous wine you can drink now or age it for 20 years. (Pessac Leognan)
5) Château Lynch Bages, chocolate, coffee a beautiful muscular wine. Needs time. (Pauillac)
6) Château Beycheville, Blueberry, blackberries – the wine is becoming more New World in style due to their new state of the art winery and wine making techniques. (Saint Julien)
7) Château Kirwan, medium to full body but well balanced with a long finish. (Margaux)
8) Château Leoville Poyferrê, seductive bouquet of #blackcherries, licorice and dark chocolate on the finish. (Saint Julien)
9) Château Pez, not as big as the other wines but the tannins are soft and silky. (Saint-Estephe)
10) Château Guiraud, delicious #Sauternes with honey, peach – a mouthful of joy. (Sauterne/Barsac)